August 17, 2018 EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE NEWSLETTER
Upcoming Ph.D. Defence:
Dominik Sommerfeld – Thursday, August 23rd – 10:00am – Rm 2108 – BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute, 950 W. 28th Avenue. Vancouver, BC
Upcoming MSc Defences:
Elliya Park, Monday, August 20th – 9:30 am – Rm #254, Jack Bell Research Centre Boardroom, 2660 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC
Mohit Sodhi, Wednesday, August 22nd – 12:00 pm – Rm#316, 3rd Floor Seminar Room, 2550 Willow Street, Vancouver, BC
Note: Please visit and bookmark our Experimental Medicine site: exp.med.ubc.ca
1. CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC CGS Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements – Fall 2018 Competition
2. Graduation Deadlines
1. CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC CGS Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements – Fall 2018 Competition
The Canada Graduate Scholarships – Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement (CGS-MSFSS) Program supports high-calibre Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad. By accessing international scientific research and training, CGS-MSFSS recipients will contribute to strengthening the potential for collaboration between Canadian and foreign institutions.
Applicant eligibility: Open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the Master’s or doctoral level or a Vanier CGS. Please note that international students who hold a Vanier CGS are not eligible for this award.
Award value: Up to CAD $6,000 for two to six months
Applicant deadline: 4:00pm on Friday, 14 September 2018
For details about this competition, please see: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/canada-graduate-scholarship-michael-smith-foreign-study-supplement
2. Graduation Deadlines for February 2019
For those students who are aiming to finish by the end of the year and have their degrees conferred in February 2019.
· Friday, August 17, 2018 – Nominations for External Examiner form submitted to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
· Friday, October 12, 2018 – Doctoral dissertation and supporting documentation submitted to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies for external examination.
· Friday, December 14, 2018 – Last day for final doctoral oral examinations.
· Friday, January 4, 2019 – Acceptance of final, approved doctoral dissertation by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Students who are hoping to complete their programs by the end of December but are concerned about their ability to meet any of the above deadlines should contact the Doctoral Exams team as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students and supervisors looking for information about the doctoral examination process will find a number of tools and resources on our website:
· Final Doctoral Examination Guide – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/final-doctoral-exam/final-doctoral-examination-guide
· Doctoral Deadlines – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/final-doctoral-exam/doctoral-deadlines
· Doctoral Examination Planning Tool and Checklist – https://www.grad.ubc.ca/forms/doctoral-examinations-planning-tool-checklist-candidates-supervisors