Awards and Financial Aid
For a compendium of awards available for UBC graduate students, see the Awards and Financial Aid page of the Faculty of Graduate Studies website.
Partial Tuition Scholarship: International Students may be eligible for the Partial Tuition Scholarship.

Graduate Student Initiative (GSI)
The University of British Columbia has provided funds for the Graduate Student Initiative. These funds are allocated to the Experimental Medicine Program yearly. The Experimental Medicine office assembles a list of Ph.D. students in the program who are not receiving any other tuition award. This list is usually created after the September admission deadline of June 30. The GSI funds are then allocated equally among students on the list. Students entering the program in January, May or July will not receive a pro-rated GSI award for that year, as the entire allocation has already been disbursed. Those students will be considered for a GSI award effective the following September.

Affiliated Fellowship
You must apply through the Experimental Medicine department for the Affiliated Fellowships. The competition for this award is held in October. Applicants for the Affiliated Fellowships are expected to apply for other funding (e.g. NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) if they qualify for such funding.

Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF)
The Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF) program will ensure UBC’s best Ph.D. students are provided with financial support of at least $16,000 per year plus tuition for the first four years of their studies. Each year we are allowed to provide this funding to a small number of students entering their Ph.D. studies with Experimental Medicine either directly or transferring from their Master’s degree studies to the Ph.D.

Applicants must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who hold or expect to hold (at the time of taking up the award) a degree in science or engineering and who intend to pursue in the following year full-time graduate study and research in one of the areas of the natural sciences and engineering supported by NSERC. Awards administered by NSERC include the PGSA, PGSB and the NSERC-IPS. Link to NSERC’s website

Applications are made by the proposed supervisor, not by the student. Studentships are offered to students attending a Canadian graduate school who are undertaking full-time health research training leading to a Ph.D. degree and applications are made by the students and must be submitted within the deadline set by the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Link to CIHR’s website.

Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
MSFHR Research Trainee Awards support highly qualified master’s, doctoral and post-doctoral trainees to prepare for careers as independent health researchers in one of the following four themes: biomedical, clinical, health services, and population health. Link to MSFHR’s website.

China Scholarship Council
Each year UBC receives Ph.D. students who obtain four-year scholarships from the China Scholarship Council.

UBC Office of Research Services
UBC Office of Research Services: For a compendium of opportunities for research funding, check the Research Funding page of the UBC Office of Research Services
“Community of Science”: Be sure to check out the Community of Science searchable database on the ORS website. This allows you to search the world’s most comprehensive funding resource, with more than 22,000 records representing nearly 400,000 opportunities, for research funding in your area, and create a weekly funding alert tailored to your needs.

Experimental Medicine Travel Awards:
The Experimental Medicine program will make available up to 5 travel awards per year (calendar year) of $500 each. These will be made with the understanding that the student has already utilized the equivalent award from Faculty of Graduate Studies, and will be presenting a poster or talk at the meeting. In any single year, only one student can receive the award from any one laboratory.

Emergency student loans
If you find you are short of funding for a brief period of time, you may be able to apply for emergency funds through Financial Services. Please contact the Experimental Medicine Office if you have any questions.